Flag of the Kingdom of Sarawak (1870-1946);
Crown Colony of Sarawak (1946-1963);
state of Sarawak (1963-1973)
Aerial view of part of Batu Lintang camp, on or after 29 August 1945. In the foreground is the Roman Catholic priests’ compound. The central open area is one of the parade grounds; beyond that is the main enclosure containing the camps of the British other ranks, the Indonesian soldiers and the male civilian internees. The female civilian internees’ camp is just visible at top right. Three panel signals to the liberating forces are visible on the roof of the long building parallel to the track on the left edge of the photograph
Aurora Hotel in the 50s, now the site of Merdeka Palace
Former Borneo Company Limited building, at the site of the current Hilton Kuching.
Carpenter Street as seen in 1950
Photo of Old Kuching found from the net but no description given. I suspect it was Carpenter street.
Visitors watch a Chinese puppet show near Kuching temple 1919
Council Negri fountain, which was constructed in 1967 to commemorate the centennial of the first Council Negri meeting. It was located just opposite the Merdeka Palace Hotel
Khoo Hun Yeang / Gartak Street area. You can clearly see the old “Corner Shops”
Happy World Amusement Park was formerly located near the present Chung Hua Primary School No.3 / Jubilee Ground. The high structure with the zinc roof was the indoor stadium of Chung Hua Primary No.3 back then in the 60′s.
House at Jawa Road No.1 (Owned by the late Tan Choon Hee) once served as the Japanese Military HQ when Kuching fell to the hands of the Japanese.
India Street in the 50s. Chinese used to call as “Kiling” Street
Built by the Japenese . This building is located in between India Street and Carpenter Street.
Kuching Fire Station
Kuching Water Front in 1957. View from Thomson Road (now Jalan TAR)
Kuching Waterfront, 1976
One of the oldest Chinese temple in Kuching, “Kuek Seng Ong” Temple
Lido Cinema, Kuching
Lillian Cinema, Kuching – later transformed to Cathay theater
Little pavilion at the Museum grounds, which was well known for delicious desserts like Ang Tau Peng (ice kacang).
Main Bazaar in the early 60′s
Odeon cinema in an even earlier time, before the building was expanded to accomodate a restaurant and retail area. Odeon was declared open on 16th June, 1955 by Mrs. A.R Snelus, wife of the Acting Deputy Chief Secretary.
Old Court House, Kuching in 1950.
Old KMC Office located at Barrack Road in 1954.
NOSTALGIA: The large crowd at the old Kuching Airport during its opening and open day on Sept 26, 1950
Old St Joseph’s Cathedral Kuching, constructed in 1891 and demolished in 1969 after the new cathedral was built. The location of this classic old building is where the church bell tower now stands.
Open air market, Kuching
Junction of Padungan Road joining Thompson (now Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman) and Mata Kuching Roads. You can see Odeon cinema (top, middle), Capitol cinema (extreme left), and an Austin car showroom & service centre on the front right. Both Odeon and Capitol are gone. At the location of the Austin showroom now stands the Standard Chartered Bank building and the Riverside hotel
The famous Sarawak Museum, 1950′s
Sarawak River, 1955
1950s view of the end of Gambier Road, at the part just before it turns into Main Bazaar. One can see the old Sarawak Steamship building on the right, and the square fort on the left. There is a landing point called Pangkalan Batu on the riverbank left of the photo, where the Rajah and later the Governor of Sarawak (living at the Astana across river) used to alight from his small boat and walk across the street to the Court House to preside over important legal cases.
Satok Suspension Bridge – This national landmark bridge was built in the year 1926. After 78 years of service to the people, it collapsed on 07 Oct, 2004 @ 4am
St Thomas Cathedral in Brooke era
State Mosque, Kuching 1932
Sylvia Cinema, one of the early Kuching cinemas. It was built in 1939 by the Third White Rajah, Charles Vyner Brooke, and named after his wife, Sylvia Brett. It was formerly located in front of the Central Padang, at the site on which was later built the State Secretariat building.
The old St Thomas’s Boy School, Kuching
Ang Cheng Ho Building – which formerly stood at where Riverbank Suite is today. It was demolished with explosive. Possibly 1st and only explosive demolition in Kuching.